'Quick' efficiency


In 2004 I discovered what could easily be considered the greatest app launcher ever created on the Mac, but it's much more than just an app launcher.  I am of course referring to Quicksilver.  This has been the very first thing I put in the apps folder after a fresh OS X install ever since.  I love how it allows me to all but ignore my dock and not only live without spotlight, but evolve past it.

Quicksilver can and will completely revolutionize the way you think of your apps, files and bookmarks and really all the contents of your drive.  Rather than wasting time looking for what I want in the dock or anywhere else, I just tap F6 (you can set it to almost any key) which brings up the bezel and I then type the first 1-2 letters of whatever I'm after.  That may sound odd to some, but once you get used to it, and learn how unlimited and customizable it is, your computer use and data access will be on a much more cerebral level.

Aside from the massive amount of efficiency this gives my daily computing, it has also given me a much better mental image of my files after using it all these 8 years now.  Having BSD roots back to 1986, I am happy to type rather than use the mouse.  I am very much the only use the mouse when really needed type.

The shocking thing is that after all these years of Quicksilver being around, there are still many people that have never used it, or even heard of it.  I think this is at least partly to blame on the bloated dock syndrome so many suffer from on Mac OS X.  This is part of that dock aesthetic Apple started in OS X.  I personally think the dock is next to useless.  It's kept hidden, and only contains apps that are running, and a rare minimized window, but I normally prefer just hiding whole apps to get them out of my way visually.

So for those of you willing to relearn how you get at your stuff within the OS, I encourage you to give it a try.  I can't tell you exactly what it will do for you, because thats actually up to you.  It learns from your personal use of it, and what things with similar names you open up more, so that after just 2 -3 uses it has already leaned many things from you.


Download:
Leopard/Tiger - Panther

Other Links:
Homepage - Plugins

3 comments:

  1. There is also Alfred (http://media.alfredapp.com/alfred_0.9_final_126_PPC.zip) in the same category, a wonderful application that seems to be very similar to Quicksilver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alfred is decent but it has far less capability. The only thing that limits Quicksilver is the imagination of the user.

      Delete
  2. For me the best combo is Cmd+Space, once you've changed Spotlight's. Spotlight? now my Spotlight use proportion is close to 2%, only for very deep files: as I like Quicksilver to work fast as a spring I set folder depth at 2. And it does. Strange app, now so natural for me. Sometimes you ignore you're carrying a burden, but men, what a relief when you get rid of it!

    ReplyDelete