The Humble Luddite


Dan DeVoto is the greatest thing that ever happened to the post-Apple PowerPC user base, and this post will explain why - both to Dan and the readers who may not understand the full extent of how committed, selfless, inclusive and balanced this guy is.  Because Dan is so humble, I want to apologize to him up front if this causes any embarrassment, but the people need to know the true extent of your greatness.

Firstly, the obvious...  he writes for two PowerPC blogs and is a science fiction author on top of that.  I mean...  come on; it's as if he's the chosen one.  Since PowerPC hardware goes to space in real life it's only fitting.  In my personal opinion, PPC Luddite is the greatest PowerPC resource out there.  Why?  Because he never has an agenda, is inclusive with all users (even the fanboys), and he's just an all-round gentlemanly good guy.  Most importantly though, is that he is beyond competent in experience and foresight.  The thing is, I don't think he has any clue about all this, which makes him even more likable.

I offered to buy him a G5...  he politely declined.  I offered to give him more RAM for his Sawtooth..  he again politely declined.  If that doesn't show commitment to the cause of helping PowerPC users, I don't know what does.  He has no interest in free things or accolades - only helping people and writing about his love of PowerPC.

Many in the remaining PowerPC user base might think of Cameron Kaiser as the greatest thing that ever happened to our old Macs, and while I acknowledge his contribution with respect, he doesn't touch Dan DeVoto's vast, dynamic and all-encompassing arsenal of assistance to users.

Anyway Dan, I've embarrassed you enough, but I have been left with a big void of not being able to give back to you, and this was the only way I could think of.  To tell the entire PowerPC community that you are the the greatest resource we have.

9 comments:

  1. Dan is the man. No doubt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dan has been a great help in bringing life to my old PowerBook G4. Thanks Dan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, shucks. Thanks. And very happy this didn't get posted on April 1st :)

    The lower RAM slot on my Powerbook died, so I had to do some part swapping with my spare Powerbook, and now everything's back 100%. Maybe I'll put up a post about do's and don't's and how to best avoid heart attack moments when opening up a Powerbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your response couldn't be more humble. Proving my point once again.

      The later PB G4's aren't the easiest machines to take apart. I've replaced many boards and HD's in them over the years. Good you had a spare board around. Dead memory slots are the worst.

      Delete
    2. One of these days I'm gonna get a soldering iron and fix the joints and overclock that sucker till flames shoot out.

      Delete
    3. Please post videos of that. :) Seriously though, the work you do is downright fantastic and beyond helpful. I used it heavily during one of my first installs of Debian.

      Delete
    4. Or better yet... use the old repaired board as your new spare. That solution won't feed the over-clocker in you though.

      Delete
  4. This post is spot on! The knowledge I have gained from reading PPC Luddite is invaluable. I cannot thank you enough Dan!

    On an unrelated note, the only later model PowerBook I have serviced is a 12 inch PowerBook. I had to replace the hard drive, it was quite a ride. I'm glad you got yours sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Real heroes in our PowerPC world! in fact everyone that actually helps the others to liberate them from the computing mainstream is a Hero for me..

    ReplyDelete