Aloha from South Dakota


Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome and the kind introduction from Zen! I really do appreciate it. I'll likely keep this post short and sweet.

A little about myself.  My full-time job is as a network administrator, but I also manage the IT infrastructure of another growing company part-time.  My real passion is with programming, but I leave myself too little time to do it unfortunately.  Using PPC hardware has helped keep that passion alive and strong though.  Other than that, I love virtualization technologies and spend a lot of time learning the ins and outs of them.  I still consider myself very new to PowerPC hardware, so if anything is ever out of line or incorrect, don't be afraid to correct me.  I consider it a valuable part of my learning experience.

When writing for my blog, PowerofPowerPC, I try incredibly hard to stick mostly to the facts and I plan on doing the same here. I'll be focused mostly on G5 content as other hardware is already covered by the other writers. This works out well as I have not done anything G5 related on my own blog up to this point. There, I mostly stick with older PPC portables and G4 desktops and that will likely not change anytime soon.

I currently own 3 G5 Power Macs, all of which have been freely donated to me through various means.  If it wasn't so incredibly expensive to ship these heavy beasts, I'd be more than willing to donate the other two to individuals who would put them to every day use.

My daily G5 is a 2.3 GHz dual core running with 16 GB of RAM.  You can read more about this machine's specs on the hardware page. The machine's hostname is appropriately set to (in my opinion) BigMac.

If you have any post ideas, topics, or issues related to the G5 Power Mac we could try to work through together, please let me or one of the other writers know. I'm looking forward to further expanding and sharing my knowledge of both PPC hardware and software.

4 comments:

  1. Good to see you properly introduce yourself.

    By the way... Mark (fiftysixk) would be a good candidate for one of your G5's. I don't think South Dakota to Texas would cost that much with USPS. I would even pay the shipping.

    I certainly don't speak for Mark, but he has expressed interest in owning a G5 for Debian and other Linux.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be all for that. I would be sad to see it go, but I'd be happier to see it put to use. I'd even split the shipping charges with you. Let's make it happen if Mark is interested.

      Delete
    2. Welcome aboard B-rock!

      Thank you for thinking about me in regards to one of the G5's. I am going to pass though as I am happy to report that I have recently come into possession of an iMac G5. It looks to be in top shape. It has yet to exhibit any weird behavior whatsoever. None of the capacitors have ruptured. After applying fresh thermal paste the fan noise is what I would call normal.

      I'll eventually acquire a spare logic board and power supply in the event of trouble down the road. I hope that routine cleaning /dusting and some creative air induction upgrades can keep my new iMac on the road. I look forward to installing Debian on the iMac and bringing iMac G5 content to the table.

      Delete
  2. Anything dealing with G5's and Linux would be well received. There is little to no content out there.

    ReplyDelete