Debian Jessie becomes the new stable


Yesterday (Apr. 25), Debian released Jessie (version 8) as the new stable edition of their Linux OS.  I have yet to try it as a stable release, but plan on installing soon.

Being that this is a Linux-heavy blog, you can expect a lot of new content about the Jessie stable release from our authors here - when we have time of course - so keep checking back in to catch it.  Once I give it a thorough once over, I will be sure to share my thoughts on it.

For now - try it and share any findings.

By the way...  the new testing release is named "Stretch".  I wonder if that name has a deeper meaning?  As in to really "stretch" the time it spends in testing.

6 comments:

  1. installed last night. everything went well but haven't had a chance to use it past that yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debian has an LTS, but it only supports x86/amd. Looks like we're stuck on Debian's biannual upgrade cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For my Powerbook, everything is now broken

    - frequency scaling (I can decide between 1 GHz and 1 GHz)
    - soundcard not detected
    - X works without radeon firmware R300_cp.bin, but freezes with firmware

    Plus some smaller gliches here and there. Haven't tried some further potential troublemakers such as wifi and suspend-to-mem. Supsend-to-disk never worked, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really liking Jessie stable + MATE. Very good performance that is almost on par with LXDE. I was a big GNOME user until 3 came out, so I really appreciate MATE.

    I will write about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a 1 GHz Powerbook - for today's standards, quite low-end.

    On Wheezy, I was surfing the web with seamonkey, which doesn't exist in Jessie, anymore. On Jessie, I installed Firefox. This seems to be a big hit for low-end computers:

    Firefox consumes 40-60% of my cpu cylces with only 1 page loaded, even though I have an add-blocker eliminating all "active" content. This high CPU load triggers the fan every now and then.

    With what do you guys surf the WWW on low-end macs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luakit is about as light as you can get, but it's very very minimal, and not so user friendly compared to a full point and click browser like Iceweasel/Firefox.

      Midori would be a good middle ground.

      Delete